- For other uses, see Baldi (disambiguation).
The original version of Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning is a video game that was first released on March 31, 2018 by Mystman12. Although it was partly but not completely a full game, it is available on Itch.io and Game jolt for free as a similar type of "demo".
This game was an entry in the annual Meta-Game Jam, that received 2nd place in the Meta-Game Jam's Top 5 Games, with Farfalle OS in 1st. The main inspiration of Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning is '90s edutainment game genre which includes titles such as Sonic's Schoolhouse, as well as pulling "the game is not what it seems" gimmick.
Soon after the game's 1.3 update, on July 24th a Kickstarter was launched, made to have Baldi's Basics be a full game with new characters, randomly generated maps, new subjects, and field trips. Mystman12 confirmed that there will be a new character that might be named Dr. Reflex. The Kickstarter successfully reached his goal with $61,375 pledged out of $50,000.
- Main article: V0.0.0
- Fixed mouse movement.
- Bully was not supposed to spawn so quickly, and his spawn time has now been extended. He also can no longer spawn on top of you.
- Hints added to YCTP, and the YCTP exit time has been fixed to be consistent regardless of machine speed.
- Fix to the game over screen.
- "You need rest" warning was fixed, and now actually shows up on screen.
- Stamina now recharges much more quickly after running out.
- Jump rope game now starts faster, and doesn't attract Baldi's attention.
- The Principal is easier to hear from far away.
- The Principal is slightly less sensitive about seeing the player in faculty only rooms, eating, and drinking.
- Made the phone and tape player more effective. Now only make noise instead of the voice clips, make Baldi forget where the last sound he heard was, and prevent him from hearing more sounds for the duration of the audio.
- Changed Tape name to "Baldi Anti Hearing Tape."
- Removed the giant globes from the principal's office, replaced them with desks.
- Time to game over screen after getting hit by Baldi is now consistent across devices.
- Renamed keys to "Principal's Keys."
- Fixed an oversight that allowed you to hide behind objects you shouldn't be able to hide behind.
- Made music slightly quieter.
- Added an extra shiny quarter and Zesty Bar.
- Mouse sensitivity slider now saves its position and doesn't need reset every game.
- Jump rope is ever so slightly harder.
- Fixed exploit that allowed you to open doors while paused, preventing Baldi from hearing them.
- Fixed Principal of the Thing occasionally whistling when getting your first wrong answer.
- Corrected Principal's Keys position.
- Fixed scaling on globes.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the bully from spawning.
- It’s A Bully now lasts longer before despawning.
- Fixed NPCs passing through BSODA.
- Fixed a bug that prevented NPCs from moving through Gotta Sweep, allowing the player to hide behind it.
- Tape player/Phone no longer plays while the game is paused or while a learning game is active.
- An oversight in Playtime's code made her much harder to run away and hide from. This has been fixed.
- Added an extra poster.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the player to get stuck in the jump rope game.
- Made Baldi harder to hear from far away.
- Made Baldi a teensy bit slower.
- Made general improvements to the ending sequence.
- Made a couple minor tweaks to the main menu.
- Fixed a bug that would prevent your stamina from recharging while standing against a wall.
- Player movement is slightly faster when walking through Gotta Sweep than it was before.
- Chairs don't float, that's just not what they do, so I fixed that too.
- Other minor tweaks and improvements.
- BSODA should actually be fixed now. I really hope it's fixed!
- Added another poster giving info about the phone.
- Added a useful hint for the end sequence.
- Fixed BSODA. For reals this time!
- There was a break in the AI path that has been patched up.
- The pay phone was made a little easier to reach.
- Fixed bug that could cause the cursor to disappear during the Math game.
- Added a new character: 1st Prize!
- Baldi's speed now increases along a curve; the first speed increase is greater than it used to be, but each subsequent increase is less than the last. Ultimately, Baldi becomes more threatening more quickly, but his max speed is lower than before.
- Lowered Baldi's audio quality
- Running out of stamina now no longer slows you down. It simply keeps you from running.
- Slowed Playtime down, and she now emits music so you can know when she's nearby.
- Added hot-keys for item selection. 1-3 allows you to quickly select their corresponding item slots.
- Fixed a glitch that made Arts and Crafters harder to trigger than intended.
- Added Skybox and outdoors decoration.
- Added Safety Scissors, WD-NoSquee, and Alarm Clock.
- Made It's a Bully's spawn points less painful; they're more of the "You need to go another way" variety now rather than the "You're completely trapped" kind, though that still can happen.
- The school board has decided that eating food is okay; drinking, however, is still prohibited. Bullying is also no longer allowed.
- Improved pause menu.
- Added another ending... There's some room for improvement though...
- Added a Zesty Machine.
- Other minor tweaks and improvements.
First off, 1.3.1 does not fix the mouse issue; that seems like an issue I have no control over. I'll keep looking for a solution, but I'm starting to think I just have to wait for a Unity update that fixes the problem. I've included a .txt file with information about the mouse issue and how to prevent it. I released this update because there were some other issues that I was able to fix, and I wanted to get those fixes out there! The changes are listed below:
- Fixed bug involving the alternate ending.
- Made Notebook respawn sounds louder.
- Playtime now only wanders the halls; she will only enter a room if she sees you, not randomly.
- Added a poster to the janitor's closet. (it explains to the player what WD-NoSquee does).
- Fixed the mouse issue!
- Added a new custom cursor.
- It's a Bully is now easier to be caught Bullying by the Principal.
- Gave Baldi a tiny speed boost.
- Fixed Principal punishing you for running when getting pushed by 1st Prize or Gotta Sweep while holding the run button.
- Added a couple more yellow doors.
- Baldi now hears exits when they disappear.
- Made Baldi speed up more slowly in endless mode.
This game was an entry in the annual Meta-Game Jam, that received 2nd place in the Meta-Game Jam's Top 5 Games. The main inspiration of Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning is '90s edutainment games such as Sonic's Schoolhouse, as well as pulling "the game is not what it seems" gimmick. The game, despite being placed in 2nd, has been recently getting high critical praise from its fans, even making mods for the game and fangames.
- There is an occasional glitch where Baldi can trap the player in a corner of a classroom where he can't catch them. However, when the player moves a single step, Baldi will catch them instantly and the game would take the player back to the start.
- The player can avoid getting a game over no matter how close he gets to them by looking down at the corner of the room. (May not always work, but most of the time it should go well.)
- Getting enough questions wrong will cause Baldi to chase you at such fast speeds that the sound of the ruler slapping gets glitched
- Playtime's jump rope game can be stopped abruptly if the player is standing in a door and it closes or a character like Gotta Sweep moves them.
- If the player is close enough to the Principal of the Thing, or in a certain angle, he will not put them in detention for breaking any rule.
- If The Protagonist gets caught breaking the rules; then goes into the detention room, the protagonist will be sent to detention, but the door will be open for the protagonist, allowing them to leave the room.
- This was fixed in V1.3.
- The principal will not take you to detention when using Safety Scissors at Playtime or 1st Prize. This is because of missing lines in the scripts.
1st Prize and Gotta Sweep
- If Gotta Sweep and 1st Prize push the player at the same time, Gotta Sweep will be stuck inside 1st Prize. They will not be able to do anything. The only way to fix it is by restarting the game.
- Due to an error in the script, the "divided by" impossible math question does not show up.
- In the graphics menu is the option 1999. When the player enters the game, most, if not all classrooms are labelled with the number 99. There's even an easter egg where the number 99 (cropped) will appear in the game over screen, which will then jumpscare the player, crashing the game. This is most likely a nod to the edutainment genre, which grew popular in the early to late 90's.
- Mystman12 confirmed that there is going to be a final update (the 1.4 update) in the original version of the game.
- ↑ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/193364415/baldis-basics-in-education-and-learning-full-game/posts/2252327
Version updates in the future coming soon.