The notebooks are spiral notebooks found in classrooms hovering on the teachers' tables. The colors that they appear in according to the files, the notebooks can be (in order) Black, Blue, Cyan, Green, Red, and Salmon.
Story ModeTouching the first notebook will open the You Can Think! Pad™, which prompts the first 3 normal math problems that are possible to solve. However, touching other notebooks will bring up the same pad, except an unsolvable, corrupted math problem as the third and last question.
When the player eventually collects all seven notebooks (so long as if they get 6 questions wrong), Baldi will become extremely fast (a bit faster than the player's sprinting speed) and rush at the player. At this time Arts and Crafters will also become a new threat to the player.
The new objective is to then find an exit and finish the game when all 7 notebooks are obtained unless the player is playing Endless Mode.
When playing in Endless Mode, there is no limit to the notebooks you collect. After a certain amount of time, the notebooks will respawn in random rooms, and a chime plays to notify you of their presence. If the player finds a notebook in this mode, the unsolvable math problems (aside from the 2nd notebook) will be solvable, but Baldi will still accelerate in speed while the player is trying to find them. When the player gets caught by Baldi, the number of notebooks they collected is their high score for Endless if the player collected more than they did last time. (The high score is at the bottom.)
- Every time a notebook is collected, it is moved below the map. This can be seen when hacking the game.
- The red notebook appears in two rooms, the messy room and the room in which the tables are twice the size.
- It is possible to hack the game to make the 3rd problem for the 2nd to 7th notebooks solvable. However, not everything is fully loaded until the player gets a question wrong.
- In the How to Play page from the game menu screen, notebooks is misspelled as "noteboos". Whether this is intentional or not is unknown.
- A yellow notebook was going to be added but was removed. This is suggested by the game-mode icons that show a yellow notebook. The salmon notebook wasn’t there, so the yellow notebook might’ve been replaced with the salmon notebook.
Notebooks • Sticks